Kick off your snowshoes and lace up the sneakers: it’s road (and trail) racing season! And these favorite Northern Michigan sport events are coming hard and fast. Here are five Northern Michigan races—from marathons to fun runs with the family pooch—that’ll have your legs burning, your lungs heaving and, ideally, your mouth smiling.
1) Run The Ridge Team Relay — Saturday, May 10th
- Grab a pal and take back the trails at the Inaugural Run the Ridge 10K Team Relay, a 2x5K event on the trails at Timber Ridge Resort southeast of Traverse City. An evening race followed by a camp style cookout featuring burgers, brats and s’mores. Awards for top male, female, and co-ed teams, plus costume awards for famous pairs. Find more at RunTheRidgeRelay.com.
2) Militant’s Half-Marathon, 10k and 5k — Saturday, May 31st
- Hosted by Hanson Hills Recreational Center in Grayling, these trail races take runners through a challenging course normally reserved for dirt-bikers: they’re races fit for the few, the proud, and the lean. Visit MichiganHalfSeries.com to register.
3) 32nd Annual Bayshore Marathon — Saturday, May 24th
- Traverse City’s premier marathon is running straight into its third decade; while all races are filled, line up along the course—which charts much of Old Mission Peninsula—for a relaxing, encouraging afternoon. Visit MyNorth’s Community Page for more information.
4) Homeward Bound 5K — Sunday, May 18th
- Organized by students and staff of Traverse City West Senior High, this 5k benefits youth homelessness outreach efforts in the Grand Traverse region. The race will be held at TC West Middle School; read more at MyNorth.com.
5) Tails to Trails: Four Paw 5k — Saturday, May 17th
- Walk or run this 5k race through with your favorite canine friend on the VASA Pathway near Traverse City; race proceeds benefit the TART system. Visit MyNorth’s Community Page for more details.