This recipe is courtesy of Pat Gibson. Try it with Pat’s barbecued pork!
- 1 red onion, diced finely
- 15 whole black peppercorns
- 15 whole allspice berries
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Put first four ingredients in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat, drain and transfer onions to a canning jar with sealable lid. Add the three juices. Add extra lime juice if onions aren’t completely covered. Cover and refrigerate for about two hours before eating. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Note: don’t eat the bay leaves, peppercorns or allspice berries.