- 11/2 cups finely crushed buttery crackers (such as Ritz crackers)
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups thinly sliced Vidalia onions or other sweet onions
- 3/4 cup milk (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 3 ounces)
- Chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix crackers and 4 tablespoons butter in bowl until well blended. Press mixture on bottom and 1 inch up sides of an 8-inch pie plate.
Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until tender, about 12 minutes. Arrange onions in cracker crust. Beat milk, eggs and salt in medium bowl until blended. Season with pepper. Pour egg mixture over onions in crust. Sprinkle cheese over filling. Sprinkle with paprika.
Bake pie until knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve. Serves 6.
Wine pairing: Semi Dry Riesling