This very cherry recipe comes from the one and only Linda Hundt of Sweetie-licious Bakery & Cafe.
Flaky Classic Pie Crust
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon. sugar
- 1/2 cup Crisco butter-flavored shortening, refrigerated OR 1/3 cup shortening plus 3 tablespoons butter, ice cold and cut into small chunks
- 5 1/12 tablespoons ice water
Sweetie-licious Crumb Topping
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 cups Montmorency tart cherries, frozen
- 1/4 cup dried Michigan cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Mix all of the above ingredients, except the water, in a stand mixer using the paddle attachment on medium speed swiftly until the crust appears pea-like.
- Carefully sprinkle the ice cold water in the crust 1 tablespoon at a time, using approximately 5 1/2 tablespoons. Mix with a fork until the dough starts to become moistened and just gathers together.
- Pat into a disk, wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll the crust out on a floured surface and place into a 9-inch pan. Shape and crimp the crust. Crusts don’t have to roll out perfectly; just crimp over any imperfections!
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a stand mixer using the paddle attachment until the butter is combined and the texture is fine.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the frozen cherries, dried cherries, sugar and cornstarch. Stir constantly on medium-high heat until boiling.
- Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and add the almond extract, lemon juice, and orange zest.
- Pour the frozen blueberries on the bottom of a frozen pie crust. Top with the cooked fruit filling, and cover completely with Crumb Topping.
- Bake for an hour or more until the pie filling bubbles over.
- Cool on a rack and keep at room temperature.