Here I’ve found the perfect proportions for the crisp topping, if you like giant crispy buttery orbs that shatter deliciously when you fork into the warm apples.
- 2 large apples
- 2 large pears
- 1/2 lemon, for juicing over fruit
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats1/2 cup melted butter
Peel and slice apples and pears, dousing them in lemon juice as you go so they don’t turn brown. Place apples and pears in a greased 9-inch pie plate or square baking dish. Sprinkle fruit with brown sugar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and water.
Combine remaining dry ingredients in a separate bowl; add melted butter, mixing until crumbly and several small balls form. Sprinkle crisp mixture on top of the apples. Bake at 375°F for 30 to 40 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve with vanilla ice cream. Serves 8.