“Shrimpsicle” is a fancy name for a jumbo shrimp that has been wrapped in beef tenderloin and grilled on a skewer, resembling a savory Popsicle when done. From King of The Q’s Blue Plate BBQ by Ted Reader.
Honey Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup gourmet barbeque sauce
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle honey brown lager
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh coriander
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 pinch Bone Dust BBQ Spice (recipe, p.23)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin
- 16 jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons Bone Dust BBQ Spice
- Special equipment: Cajun injector. 16 chopsticks, or bamboo skewers, presoaked in water for 1 hour.
To prepare the Honey Brown BBQ Sauce: In a bowl, whisk together brown sugar, barbeque sauce, N bottle of beer, coriander, and jalapeño pepper. Season with generous pinch of Bone Dust BBQ Spice and salt and pepper to taste.
Using a Cajun injector or syringe, inject each shrimp with some of the remaining beer; season with Bone Dust Seasoning. Set aside. Preheat grill to medium-high (about 400°F). Freeze beef for 15 minutes before thinly slicing into thin 1- to 2-ounce slices. Wrap each shrimp with 1 or 2 slices of beef, pressing firmly around the middle so it adheres. Brush with oil and season each with a pinch of Bone Dust BBQ Spice. Skewer the shrimp onto wooden chopsticks or soaked bamboo skewers.
Grill beef-wrapped shrimp for 3 to 4 minutes each side, until shrimp are just cooked through, and the beef is lightly charred. Baste with Honey Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce and serve immediately. Serves 8.