Easy, fresh and elegant as a lunch salad or an amazing appetizer for six.
- 1+pounds large sea scallops: white wine to cover
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 pound washed baby spinach
- 1 sliced red bell pepper
- 4 ounces crumbled feta
- 2 fresh pears (Barlett or similar)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 splash sparkling wine
- olive oil
- fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Fustini’s peach-infused white balsamic vinegar, or similar. (Fustini’s Oils and Vinegars: fustinis.com.)
Rinse scallops and marinade in a little white wine and 2 teaspoons of lemon zest. While sauté pan is heating to medium heat, plate spinach and arrange peppers and crumbled feta on top for each serving. Gently brown pear slices (with skin on) in butter and arrange on greens. Turn up the heat to searing temps, sear scallops on one side (about 2 minutes) turn, sear on other side for one minute, add 1 tablespoon butter (will brown; it’s okay) a splash of sparkling wine, and let butter and wine reduce into a sauce for another minute. Dish a couple of scallops out center stage on each plate of greens, and spoon a little of the sauce on them. Dress with a splash of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon or Fustini’s peach-infused white balsamic vinegar.