Excellent on meat and poultry, this chutney has a pleasant kick. Recipe yields about 16 ounces, though it can be easily doubled for canning.
- 1/2 pound apples (choose different varieties), peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
Put all the ingredients in a pan and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for 30–40 minutes, until the mixture thickens. Letcool, then refrigerate until ready to serve.