This recipe comes from Chef Paul Olson of Mission Table. The recipe and story were originally published in the August 2015 issue of Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine. Serves 6.
For the vinaigrette
- 3 ounces Black Star Farms verjus
- 1 ounce sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 4 ounces olive oil
- 4 ounces canola or grapeseed oil
- Pinch salt and fresh ground black pepper
In a medium mixing bowl whisk verjus, vinegar, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper together. Continue whisking and slowly add oils until emulsified.
For the salad
- 1 tablespoon rendered bacon fat
- 8 ounces smoked rabbit (substitute smoked chicken if unavailable)
- 12 ounces arugula, washed and spun dry
- 10 radishes, sliced thin
- 6 ounces Leelanau Cheese raclette, shaved
- ½ red onion, sliced thin
- 1 ½ cups Sun Gold tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- 3–4 ounces verjus vinaigrette
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
Add bacon fat to a medium sauté pan over medium heat, add smoked rabbit and cook until heated through. Set aside. In a large salad bowl add remaining ingredients and vinaigrette, season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Garnish with smoked rabbit and serve.