Betty Neff likes to include this dish as part of her Christmas morning smorgasbord. Read about Betty’s husband Brian Neff, from Petoskey, and how old-world sausage-making has brought craft and joy into his lives and the lives of hunters, families and those in need.
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly groundblack pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 box croutons (Betty uses Pepperidge Farms)
Preheat oven to 350°. Brown breakfast sausage. Spread over bottom of 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Crack eggs into a blender, add milk, salt and pepper then mix well until fluffy. Pour over the breakfast sausage. Spread both cheeses evenly over the eggs, then spread croutons on top. Bake 30 to 40 minutes. Serves 8–12.
Wine pairing: Sparkling Brut