Applying a blend of explorer, tinkerer and perfectionist to the baking arts, Lauretta Reiss has fast earned a devoted following at her Harbor Springs shop, Small Batch. She shares her spirit and holiday recipes with us in the November 2016 issue of Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine. (Get your copy here!)
Try more of Lauretta’s recipes:
Read about Lauretta’s job switch from sought-after shoe designer to small town baker here.
- 1 pound unsalted butter melted and browned
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups lightly packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs plus 4 yolks at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 41⁄2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup crushed candy canes
- 3 cups (12 ounces) chocolate chips
Preheat oven 375 degrees. With paddle attachment mix butter with both sugars. Add eggs and yolks one at a time. Add vanilla. Sift dry ingredients and add to butter mixture. Mix just until combined. Add crushed candy canes and chips. Bake 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on cookie sheet.