Creamy Parmesan Polenta
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup evaporated milk or half and half
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, any type (1/2 cup if dried)
- 1 1/2 cups polenta or grits, not quick type (polenta is from yellow corn; grits is from white corn, but otherwise very similar.)
Lemon Garlic Shrimp
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 8 garlic cloves, divided
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound asparagus, cut into one-inch lengths
(Note: Start shrimp marinating before starting polenta.)
In a medium pot, bring chicken broth, mushrooms and evaporated milk to boil for polenta. Stir in polenta, reduce heat a little, and stir often. (Begin cooking shrimp.) When polenta starts to thicken (about same time shrimp is finishing)—add salt and pepper and taste. Continue stirring, and once polenta have reached the consistency of oatmeal, stir in Parmesan cheese.
Peel and clean shrimp and marinade in a splash of olive oil, a tablespoon of lemon zest and four or five crushed gloves of garlic. In a second pot, sauté remaining garlic (minced) and chopped vegetables in olive oil for two minutes on medium heat. Add the thawed shrimp and sauté for 5 minutes in the garlic-infused oil. Remove from heat.
Ladle a healthy serving of grits onto each plate, top with shrimp and vegetable mixture. Tabasco to taste—use enough and your grits turn pink. Black pepper, and salt to taste. For extra credit add crumbled bacon bits to the top! You may want to make a batch of sweet tea to go with this.