Pasta is the desired food the night before any athletic event. But this healthy pasta recipe is especially great because it avoids the sugars in jarred spaghetti sauce. The best part? It’s so easy (you don’t boil the pasta first!), kids can assemble it themselves.
- 12 ounces whole wheat pasta capelli pasta
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes diced or a 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with liquid (pureed if kids don’t like tomato chunks)
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 large sprigs (or more if you love it!) basil, chopped
- 4 ½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup olive oil
Put all ingredients, except parmesan, in a large stock pot starting with the pasta and ending with the olive oil. Cover pot and bring to boil. Reduce to low simmer, keep covered and cook for about 10 minutes, carefully stirring (by parents if kids are too young) every 2 minutes. Cook until pasta is al dente and there is about an inch of liquid left in the pot. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parmesan.