Let children help with this treat that delivers on holiday sweetness the healthy way.
Makes 2 frozen hearts
- 1 cup frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 ripe banana
- 4 tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil (sounds exotic, but you can find it at Meijer!)
You’ll Also Need:
- 2 heart-shaped cookie cutters, should be approximately 4-inches across at widest part of heart, and 1 inch deep
- Blender or food processor
- 2 pieces of aluminum foil, approximately 6-by-6-inches
Kids Can: Dab a sheet of paper towel into the coconut oil and rub it on the foil squares. Also, rub the inside of the cookie cutters with oil and set them on the oiled foil.
Kids Can: Slice bananas with a butter knife. Put the bananas and strawberries into a blender or food processor and, with the help of an adult, blend until smooth. Scoop the blended fruit just to the top of the heart forms.
Kids Can: Place in the freezer until hard—three to four hours.
Kids Can: Take the forms out of the freezer. Heat a butter knife under hot water, and run between the edge of the form and the frozen fruit. Place flat side down on a plate and carefully push the heart out of the cutter.
Kids Can: Melt the remaining coconut oil in a glass dish in the microwave for about a minute—or until clear. Remove it from the microwave with a hot pad. Dip a spoon in the oil and drizzle it on the heart.
Kids Can: Garnish the heart with one piece of chocolate.
Kids Can: Eat!