- 6 firm sweet- tart apples like honey crisps or Fuji of Pink Ladies
- 3 T. apricot jam from American Spoon Foods
- 3 T. whipped cream cheese
- 3 T. dark brown Michigan beet sugar3 T. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups hickory chips
1. Soak 1 1/2 cups of hickory chips in water for one hour, then drain.
2. Prepare charcoal grill for indirect grilling by setting up a three zone fire — move the hot charcoal into two equal piles of either side of the grate. Place a disposable pan filled with water between the two hot charcoal piles.
3. Using a melon baller, hallow the core of the apple, creating a cavity in each apple. Take out the stem and the seeds but leave the bottom intact to hold in the filling.
4. Fill the cavity in each apple: 1/2 T. whipped cream cheese, 1/2 T. apricot jam, 1/2 T. dark brown sugar and top with a bit of butter.
5. Place apples on grill over drip pan — do not place directly on heat. Add drained chips to both piles of hot coals. Cover grill and adjust vent holes to maintain a 350 degree fire for 45 minutes to one hour and a half. Apples should be a beautiful brown and soft to the touch. Serve at once.