Makes 15–18 sausages
- 2 pounds diced boneless duck leg
- 1 pound diced pork belly
- 1 cup pitted and quartered tart cherries
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1/2 tablespoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cherry brandy
- 15 feet of sausage casings
Rinse the sausage casings thoroughly under cold running water. Thoroughly combine the remaining ingredients in a large stainless steel mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Run the sausage filling through a meat grinder using a medium die. Affix sausage stuffing attachment and fill the sausage casings, twisting them into four-inch links. Bring a large pot of salted water to a simmer and poach the sausages for 12 to 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 145 degrees. Remove sausages from the water, drain and refrigerate. Brown the cooked sausages in a pan or on a grill before serving.