Judith Reinhardt is the co-owner of the Leelanau County CSA Sweeter Song Farm. Her chicken curry soup always leaves guests asking for seconds!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, about 2 cups, finely minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 cup carrot, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups chicken broth (Use the broth left from boiling the chicken; supplement with a good commercial brand of stock.)
- 1 whole approximately 4-pound chicken, boiled and meat cut in 1 ½-by-1/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups heavy cream (Milk also works just fine, Judy says.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium-sized, locally grown tart apples, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons mango chutney
- 3 tablespoons water mixed with 4 tablespoons flour, if needed
Sauté in butter the onion, celery/celeriac, carrot, and curry powder. Add flour; cook 3 to 4 minutes over low heat while stirring, add stock, raise heat, and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or so.
Add chicken and cream/milk; cook until it begins to thicken. Add salt, pepper, apples, and chutney and heat through. If soup is thin, add flour and water mixture and cook.
Top with roasted coconut and minced scallions if desired. Season to taste and serve.