July in Northern Michigan is cherry-gorging season, so to help get you through with minimal unfulfilled cravings, we found this delicious recipe. Special thanks to Sandy Barnes of Eastport, who used this recipe to snag First Place in the Friske Orchards annual cherry recipe contest.
Here’s how to prepare an incredible Northern Michigan cherry cherry cherry pie!
- 1 double crust piecrust
- 12 ounces dark sweet pitted frozen cherries
- 12 ounces tart frozen cherries
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup cherry concentrate
- 1 ounce cherry flavored brandy
- 2 tablespoon butter, cubed
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare piecrust and roll out bottom crust, fit into a large pie dish. Chill. Mix all other ingredients except butter, and pour into chilled piecrust. Dot with butter. Roll out top crust, cover pie, crimp edges and cut vents or make a lattice crust. Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Decrease temperature to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 45 to 50 minutes.