Kylen Kilcherman says: I like to mix it up, so I use different apples in every batch. Northern Spy is tart and crisp, Green Pippen is nicely flavored; Duchess and Wealthy add a spicy flavor. You can use some Ginger Gold, Strawberry—every batch is different. You can adjust the amount of sugar or add nutmeg or other spices to taste.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-vegetable shortening
- 6–8 tablespoons ice water
- 6–8 apples (depending on size), sliced
- Egg wash (1 egg, 2 tablespoons of milk, lightly beaten)
Combine the first five ingredients for crust. Roll it out into 4 to 6 pastry shells. Drop in the sliced apples and fold the turnovers. Pinch the corners to seal. Brush top with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 25 minutes at 425 degrees.