This is an immediate vacancy and all qualified Applicants are encouraged to apply
Michigan Families need your help*……*
JOB SUMMARY: The Services Specialist will utilize child welfare practice skills to ensure children are protected from abuse and neglect. When child abuse or neglect is indicated, specialists work closely with families and the legal system toward a goal of reunification, independent living, or other permanent living situation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Assessing allegations of child abuse or neglect and taking necessary steps to protect children. This could mean removing a child from a family.
- Developing working relationships with people who strongly dislike DHHS because of their personal history or the reputation of child protective agencies in general.
- Learning about cultures, traditions, and lifestyles different from your own and developing cultural competencies to understand how to determine child safety and well-being within that context. Comprehending the impact of historical trauma, and observing protocols of differing cultures.
- Maintaining objectivity and empathy for families living in stressful situations.
- Preparing comprehensive and accurate court documents. Testifying in court, including defending your actions which will be questioned by defense attorneys and other parties to the case.
- Working under deadlines that require prioritizing efforts with constant pressure created by the nature and volume of the cases, documentation and working flexible hours.
- This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and other non-standard work hours as needed and could be placed on a rotating on-call roster.
See complete position description here: Position Description
View the Job Specification
View the 13 minute video “Is This Job For Me?” at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtBuckURPk&feature;=youtu.be prior to applying for this position. Required Education and Experience
Education Possession of a bachelor’s or master’s degree with a major in one of the following human services areas: social work, sociology, psychology, family ecology, community services, family studies, family and/or child development, guidance/school counseling, counseling psychology, criminal justice or human services.
Services Specialist 9
No specific type or amount is required.
Services Specialist 10
One year of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist 9.
Services Specialist P11
Two years of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist, including one year equivalent to a Services Specialist 10.
Additional Requirements and Information
When you apply, your application is valid for 6 months. After 6 months, you MUST reapply for continued consideration
This position is located in Bellaire MI at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, 205 East Cayuga Street, Bellaire, MI 49615.
Why Antrim County?
- Antrim County is located in the northern region Michigan’s Lower Peninsula and lies on the eastern shore of Grand Traverse Bay.
- Population (2015) of 23,154 and the median income $46,480 (2010-2015.)
- The Chain of Lakes is a 75 miles water which consists of a series of 14 lakes and connecting rivers, which includes Torch Lake, Elk Lake, Lake Bellaire, Rapid River and the Torch River.
- Torch Lake is the longest and 2nd largest inland lake in Michigan. National Geographic rated it among the most beautiful lakes in the world. Torch Lake is known for its turquoise waters.
- Local events include, Rubber Ducky Festival, Harvest Festival & Scarecrow Extravaganza, Light Up The Night, Alden Depot Train Show, Elk Rapids Harbor Days, Ellsworth Annual Pig Roast, and the Mancelona Bass Festival.
- Antrim County has much to offer for winter recreation including snowmobiling, ice fishing, downhill skiing at Shanty Creek Resort and cross country skiing.
- Mancelona is the starting and end point for each of the White Pine Stampedecross country ski races held each February.
- Parks and nature areas include Glacial Hills Pathway and Natural Area, Grass River Natural Area, Cedar River Natural Area (part of the Lelanau Conservancy), Wetzel Lake and Murphy Park.
- Paddle Antrim which begins in Ellsworth and ends in Bellaire.
- Home to several local farms and orchards including Friske Orchards Farm Market, Rocky Top Farms, King Orchards, Royal Farms, Porcupine Hollow Farm, Providence Organic Farm, Maplehurst Farms and Ellsworth Farmer’s Exchange.
- Breweries, wineries, and meaderies include Bee Well Meadery, Short’s Brewery, Torch Lake Cellars, and WaterFIre Vineyards.
- At least 4 golf courses.
- Local beaches on Torch Lake, Intermediate Lake, Torch Lake and Lake Michigan.
- Elk Rapids is home to the Twisted Fish Gallery, Blue Heron Gallery, Mullaly’s 128 Studio & Gallery and Art Rapids!
- For more information please visit http://www.antrimcounty.org/
PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS CAREFULLY, To be considered for this position you must:
- Apply for this position online via NEOGOV; click on “Apply” in the job posting for instructions on submitting your electronic application. Hard copy applications are not accepted.
- Attach no more than a 1 page written response to the following questions after viewing the video “Is this job for me?”:
- *If selected for this position what do you believe your biggest challenge will be? *
- *How do you see yourself overcoming this challenge? *
- Attach a resume identifying specific experience and dates of employment. Dates of employment should include month and year and hours per week.
- Attach a cover letter.
- Attach a copy of an official transcript(s).* We accept scanned copies of official* transcripts.Please see the example below. We do not accept copies of unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts provide the name of the institution, confirmation that a degree was awarded and on what date, and the registrar’s signature. Select this link to see an example of an official transcript.
- As a Condition of Employment âthis position requires a valid driver’s license and successful completion of a background investigation including fingerprinting and a criminal records check.
- Applications will be screened on information provided on the application itself. Please include your resume and cover letter for additional consideration, but it will not be accepted as a substitution for a completed application.
- During the online application process any additional documentation that is required must be attached from your master profile to the individual application.
- Upon hire, the successful candidate will be required to complete a nine week pre-service training program that includes a total of 270 hours of competency-based classroom and field training. Additionally, the employee must successfully complete a minimum number of hours of in-service training on an annual basis. YOUR APPLICATION FOR ANY POSITION DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU WILL BE CONTACTED BY THE DEPARTMENT/AGENCY FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION. ONLY THOSE APPLICANTS</strong
More jobs at State of Michigan