This is an immediate vacancy and all qualified Applicants are encouraged to apply
Michigan Families need your help*……*
JOB SUMMARY: The Services Specialist will utilize child welfare practice skills to ensure children are protected from abuse and neglect. When child abuse or neglect is indicated, specialists work closely with families and the legal system toward a goal of reunification, independent living, or other permanent living situation.
Prior to applying for this position, please view the 13 minute video “Is This Job For Me?” at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtBuckURPk&feature;=youtu.be
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Assessing allegations of child abuse or neglect and taking necessary steps to protect children. This could mean removing a child from a family.
- Developing working relationships with people who strongly dislike DHHS because of their personal history or the reputation of child protective agencies in general.
- Learning about cultures, traditions, and lifestyles different from your own and developing cultural competencies to understand how to determine child safety and well-being within that context. Comprehending the impact of historical trauma, and observing protocols of differing cultures.
- Maintaining objectivity and empathy for families living in stressful situations.
- Preparing comprehensive and accurate court documents. Testifying in court, including defending your actions which will be questioned by defense attorneys and other parties to the case.
- Working under deadlines that require prioritizing efforts with constant pressure created by the nature and volume of the cases, documentation and working flexible hours.
- This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and other non-standard work hours as needed and could be placed on a rotating on-call roster.
See complete position description here: Position Description
View the Job Specification
Required Education and Experience
Education Possession of a bachelor’s or master’s degree with a major in one of the following human services areas: social work, sociology, psychology, family ecology, community services, family studies, family and/or child development, guidance/school counseling, counseling psychology, criminal justice or human services.
Services Specialist 9
No specific type or amount is required.
Services Specialist 10
One year of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist 9.
Services Specialist P11
Two years of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist, including one year equivalent to a Services Specialist 10.
Additional Requirements and Information
This position is located in Cadiallac, MI at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, 10641 West Watergate Road, Cadillac, MI 49601.
Why Wexford/Missaukee County?
- Wexford County is located in northwest region of Michigan’s lower peninsula.
- The county’s population was estimated at 33,003 (2015) and a median income of $40,368 by the US Census Bureau.
- The county’s three largest lakes, Lake Cadillac, Lake Mitchell, and Lake Missaukee are popular for fishing and other water sports.
- The Pine River and Manistee River have been designated National Wild & Scenic Rivers making them ideal for canoeing and kayaking. The Manistee River is also known for a very scenic point in the river known as Horseshoe Bend.
- Over 200 miles of snowmobile trails which connects to over 600 miles of trail in the area.
- Several trails for hiking such as the White Pine Trail, Manistee River Trail, The Big-M, North Country Trail, Cadillac Pathway, Clam River Greenway Trailway, and Mackenzie Trails. Many of these trails can also be used for cross country skiing, snowshoeing, and biking.
- Local festivals include the North American Snow Festival, Blueberry Festival, Mesick Mushroom Festival, Craft Beer Festival, Hoxeyville Music Festival and the Cadillac Feedom Festival.
- Other events include Buckley Old Engine Show, Northern District Fair, Back to the Bricks Cruise Cadillac and Christmas in the Park.
- 7 golf course and one ski resort.
- Other local attractions include The Wexford County Civic Center and Ice Arena, Adventure Island Family Fun Park, and Cadillac Sound Garden.
- Locally food and drink is produced and sold at Cadillac Farmers Market, Cadillac Made in Michigan Artisan & Farm Market and Clam Lake Beer Company.
- Cultural Institutions include Cadillac Area Artists Association, Cadillac Area Scandinavian Society, Cadillac Philharmonic Club, Footliters Community Theatre, Gopherwood, Cadillac Area Symphony and Cadillac Community Chorus.
- Please visit http://www.cadillacmichigan.com/ for more information.
- Missaukee county’s population was estimated at 14,903 (2015) and a median income of $40,983 by the US Census Bureau.
- Missaukee County is located in the central area of Michigan’s northern, Lower Peninsula.
- More than 100,000 acres of public land, including sections of the Pere Marquette State Forest.
- Approximately 4,800 acres of inland lakes, the largest of which is Lake Missaukee.
- The Miss-Kal Line Snowmobile trail goes through Missaukee County and connects to other trails in nearby counties.
- Unique local attractions include Merritt Speedway in Lake City, Michigan which hosts motorsports racing and Museum of Moses which features a collection of vintage Harley Davidsons, located in Vogel Center.
- Local events include Festival of the Pines, Greatest Fourth in the North, McBain Days, Cow Camp Rodeo, and Missaukee Falmouth 4-H Youth Fair.
- Home to three libraries, Falmouth Area Library, McBain Community Library, and Ardis Missaukee District Library.
- Missaukee Ski Mountain has downhill and cross country skiing.
- Missaukee County is home to two public school districts Lake City Area Schools and McBain Rural Agricultural School both of which are part of the Wexford-Missaukee Intermediate School District. Missaukee County also has a private school, Northern Michigan Christian School located in McBain, MI.
- Camp grounds include Goose Lake State Forest Campground and Long Lake State Forest Campground.
- Local Parks include Missaukee Lake Park, Crooked Lake Park, Ben D. Jeffs River Park, and Stewart Park.
- Local agricultural producers include Geers Farm, Kirby’s Garden, Little town jerky, In-law Farms, Friends Farm, Infinity Micro Farm and S&S; Lamb.
- Please visit www.missaukee.org for more information.
PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS CAREFULLY, To be considered for this position you must:
- Apply for this position online via NEOGOV; click on “Apply” in the job posting for instructions on submitting your electronic application. Hard copy applications are not accepted.
- *Attach no more than a 1 page written response to the following questions after viewing the video “Is this job for me?”:*
- *If selected for this position what do you believe your biggest challenge will be? *
- *How do you see yourself overcoming this challenge? *
- Attach a resume identifying specific experience and
More jobs at State of Michigan