This is an immediate vacancy and all qualified Applicants are encouraged to apply
Michigan Families need your help*……*
JOB SUMMARY: The Services Specialist will utilize child welfare practice skills to ensure children are protected from abuse and neglect. When child abuse or neglect is indicated, specialists work closely with families and the legal system toward a goal of reunification, independent living, or other permanent living situation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Assessing allegations of child abuse or neglect and taking necessary steps to protect children. This could mean removing a child from a family.
- Developing working relationships with people who strongly dislike DHHS because of their personal history or the reputation of child protective agencies in general.
- Learning about cultures, traditions, and lifestyles different from your own and developing cultural competencies to understand how to determine child safety and well-being within that context. Comprehending the impact of historical trauma, and observing protocols of differing cultures.
- Maintaining objectivity and empathy for families living in stressful situations.
- Preparing comprehensive and accurate court documents. Testifying in court, including defending your actions which will be questioned by defense attorneys and other parties to the case.
- Working under deadlines that require prioritizing efforts with constant pressure created by the nature and volume of the cases, documentation and working flexible hours.
- This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and other non-standard work hours as needed and could be placed on a rotating on-call roster.
See complete position description here: Position Description
View the Job Specification
View the 13 minute video “Is This Job For Me?” at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtBuckURPk&feature;=youtu.be prior to applying for this position. Required Education and Experience
Education Possession of a bachelor’s or master’s degree with a major in one of the following human services areas: social work, sociology, psychology, family ecology, community services, family studies, family and/or child development, guidance/school counseling, counseling psychology, criminal justice or human services.
Services Specialist 9
No specific type or amount is required.
Services Specialist 10
One year of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist 9.
Services Specialist P11
Two years of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist, including one year equivalent to a Services Specialist 10.
Additional Requirements and Information
When you apply, your application is valid for 6 months. After 6 months, you MUST reapply for continued consideration
This position is located in Beulah, Michigan at the Benzie County* *Department of Health and Human Services, Government Center, 448 Court Place, Beulah, MI 49617.
Why Benzie Coun*_ty?*_
- Benzie County is located in northwest region of Michigan’s lower peninsula, along Lake Michigan’s eastern shore.
- Based on the most recent US Census data, the populations is estimated at 17,457 (July 1, 2015) with a median income of $47,620 (2010-2014.)
- 16 Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy, Nature preserves and Trails such as Arcadia Dunes, The C.S. Mott Nature Preserve, Betsie Dunes Nature Preserve, Railroad Point Natural Area, Pearl Lake, Borwell Reserve and Misty Acres.
- The county’s Lake Michigan shoreline has several excellent spots for birding (also known as bird watching.)
- Events include the National Coho Salmon Festival, Fallfest, Frankfort Film Festival, Benzie County Water Festival, Ciderfest and Winterfest.
- Farms and orchards include Grow Benzie, Fantail Farm LLC, Llama Meadows Farm, Smeltzer Orchards, Sleeping Bear Farms, Sorenson Farm & Orchards and Food for Thought.
- Among Benzie county’s local wineries, meaderies, breweries, and distilleries are St. Ambrose Cellars, Glen Arbor Cherry Republic, Iron Fish Distillery, Lake Ann Brewing Co., and StormCloud Brewing Company.
- Local attractions are Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Frankfort North Breakwater Light, Point Betsie Light Station, Crystal Lake, Betsie River and Platte River.
- Local arts and entertainment, for example the Benzie Area Symphony Orchestra, Benzie Community Chorus, Benzie County Community Band, Benzie County Players, Lakeside Shakespeare Theatre, Frankfort Garden Theatre, Michigan Legacy Art Park and Mills Community House.
- Trails for hiking and biking like the Betsie River Pathway, Betsie Valley Trail, Lake Ann Pathway, Michigan Legacy Art Park-Crystal Mountain and Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.
- Examples of Benzie county winter recreational opportunities include 135 miles of snowmobile trails, cross country skiing, downhill skiing at Crystal Mountain, ice fishing and snowshoeing.
- The county is home to golf courses such as Champion Hill Golf, Crystal Lake Golf Club, Crystal Mountain-Golf, and Pinecroft Golf Course.
- Please visit www.benzie.org and/or www.benzieco.net for more information.
PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS CAREFULLY, T*o be considered for this position you must:*
- Apply for this position online via NEOGOV; click on “Apply” in the job posting for instructions on submitting your electronic application. Hard copy applications are not accepted.
- _Attach no more than a 1 page written response to the following questions after viewing the video “Is this job for me?”:_
- _If selected for this position what do you believe your biggest challenge will be? _
- _How do you see yourself overcoming this challenge? _
- Attach a resume identifying specific experience and dates of employment. Dates of employment should include month and year and hours per week.
- Attach a cover letter.
- Attach a copy of an official transcript(s).* We accept scanned copies of official* transcripts.Please see the example below. We do not accept copies of unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts provide the name of the institution, confirmation that a degree was awarded and on what date, and the registrar’s signature. Select this link to see an example of an official transcript.
- As a Condition of Employment âthis position requires a valid driver’s license and successful completion of a background investigation including fingerprinting and a criminal records check.
- Applications will be screened on information provided on the application itself. Please include your resume and cover letter for additional consideration, but it will not be accepted as a substitution for a completed application.
- During the online application process any additional documentation that is required must be attached from your master profile to the individual application.
- Upon hire, the successful candidate will be required to complete a nine week pre-service training program that includes a total of 270 hours of competency-based classroom and field training. Additionally, the employee must successfully comple
More jobs at State of Michigan