BAY AREA TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY
PAYROLL AND BENEFITS SPECIALIST
Supervised By:Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Director of Administrative ServicesÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â
Supervises:Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â No Supervisory Responsibility
Pay Scale:Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Administrative Level 3
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Administrative Services, performs a variety of financial, administrative and clerical services to ensure efficient and accurate financial and administrative accounting transactions, including the management of accounts receivable and cash management.Â Processes payroll, administers employee benefit plans, reconciles benefit payments and completes various external reports.
Essential Job Functions:
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions.Â These examples do not include all of the duties, which the employee may be expected to perform.Â To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Performs daily payroll operations including processing and verifying new hires, employee changes and terminations in the payroll system.
- Processes scheduled payroll for all employees including confirming timecard approvals by employees and management and completes payroll processing. Reconciles payroll prior to transmission and validate confirmed reports.
- Verifies accuracy of payroll earnings, deductions and taxes and resolve related issues or discrepancies.
- Administers year-end payroll processes to include verification and appropriate delivery of W-2 documents.
- Ensures compliance in the filing of state and federal reporting.
- Performs day-to-day administrative functions for the 401(k) plan, coordinates enrollment meetings, posts and distributes annual notices as directed.
- Conducts annual open enrollment and maintains employee benefit files.
- Assists HR Generalist in functions related to employee benefit programs, including enrollments, account reconciliation and answering employee questions as needed.
- Assists in maintaining HRIS database and performs periodic audits to verify data accuracy.
- Maintains personnel files and assists in scanning terminated employee files to reduce storage requirements.
- Administers and maintains FMLA and COBRA, along with all other fringe benefits.
- Maintains employee confidence and protects operations by keeping personnel data confidential.
- Collaborates with other departments, and/or the Executive Director, on special projects.
- Attends meetings and makes presentations as requested.
- Performs related work as required.
Qualifications and Skills:Â To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Associates degree in business or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of two years of experience in a human resources related area with knowledge of employee programs such as payroll administration, cafeteria plans and employee benefits.
- Must have broad knowledge of various laws and regulations pertaining to human resource management.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to problem solve, prioritize tasks and meet required deadlines.
- Ability to think critically and use good, sound judgment in decision making.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles and payroll best practices.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complains from regulatory agencies, outside auditors and accountants, Board of Directors or other members of management.
- Ability to write routine correspondence and communicate effectively and tactfully, orally and in writing with employees, customers, vendors and management.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Must understand and comply with company policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain a friendly, helpful and courteous attitude when working with customers or co-workers under diverse conditions.
- Ability to oversee goals and projects and ensure they are completed in a timely manner.
- Ability to accurately and quickly complete standard mathematical calculations.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to use a calculator, computer and applicable software.
- Ability to use Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office programs, specifically Word, Outlook and Excel.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job.Â Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate in person and by telephone, read regular and small print, view and produce written and electronic documents and enter data on a computer keyboard with repetitive keystrokes.Â The employee must be mobile in an office and field setting, stand, sit, stoop and kneel, use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms.Â The employee must lift and/or move items of moderate to heavy weight.
The typical work environment of this job is an office setting where the noise level is moderate and sometimes loud.
It is the policy of the Authority that all employees in this job classification are employed at the will of the Authority and may resign or be dismissed with or without cause or notice at any time during employment.
FLSA â Non-Exempt â Administration
More jobs at Bay Area Transportation Authority