The purpose of this position is to perform a wide variety of tasks involved in the development of cartographic products, including but not limited to, field data collection, compilation, editing and production of Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and Geographic Information System (GIS) technical support functions.
Open to the first 100 applicants or until 12/14/2018 whichever comes first. All applications submitted by 11:59 (EST) on the closing day will receive consideration.
Learn more about this agency
This position is located within the Division of Natural Resources Division at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. You will serve as leader to implement new and established Geographic Information System (GIS) projects including the following: processing GIS data collected in support of Natural Resources projects; and management of existing GIS themes, layers, and applications to NPS Standards. Duties will include operating, updating, and maintaining GIS software, hardware, and associated peripheral devices; collecting and processing GIS data including quality control and assurance; producing maps, tabular data, overlays, and analysis results for project reports and field efforts; organizing and attributing metadata to existing and new GIS assets to NPS standards under guidance of Midwest Regional Office.
For Specific Area and Housing Information, or specific information on job duties, please contact Julia Gehring at (231) 326-4752
Temporary positions not-to-exceed 1039 regular hours in a service year may be terminated sooner or extended depending on management needs. The typical seasonal entry-on-duty period is Jan. – July , but can be variable during these months due to weather conditions, project needs, or funding. Anticipated Entry on Duty: 1/21/19
25% or less – You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
1371 Cartographic Technician
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
- Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males.
- Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.
- You may be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties. Prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year thereafter (or more frequently if management determines such need exists), you will be required to sign an affidavit certifying to your possession of a valid State issued driver’s license that is current and has not been revoked, suspended, canceled, or otherwise disqualified in any way to prohibit your operation of a motor vehicle. You will also submit a photocopy of your valid State issued driver’s license prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year, or more frequently if management determines such need exists. Lastly, you may be required to submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that discloses all valid driver’s licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you. Please indicate in your application whether you possess a valid State driver’s license.
- You will be required to wear a uniform and comply with the National Park Service uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided.
- You may be required to work on-call, evenings, weekends, holidays, overtime and shift work.
- You may be required to travel overnight away from home up to 5 nights per month. You must obtain a government charge card for travel purposes.
- Applicants must be at least (1)18 years old or (2) at least 16 years old and: (a) Have graduated from high school or been awarded a certificate equivalent to graduating from high school; or (b) Have completed a formal vocational training program; or (c) Have received a statement from school authorities agreeing with their preference for employment rather than continuing their education; or (d) Be currently enrolled in a secondary school and either work only during school vacation periods or work part-time during the school year under a formal student employment program.
**To qualify for this position at the GS-07 grade level, you must possess at least one of the following minimum qualifications by close of the announcement:
Specialized Experience –One year of specialized work experience equivalent to the GS-6 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is that experience which demonstrates you have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of this position. Examples of specialized experience includes: use and operation of geospatial software; application of cartographic and geography principles, practices and procedures to perform moderately complex assignments, including compilation, synthesis, analysis, interpretation, editing and presentation of information regarding location, distribution, and interrelationships of and processes of change affecting a wide variety of natural/cultural/social/physical resources. Graduate education or internship meets the specialized experience required above GS-5 only in those instances where it is directly related to the work of the position. Internships not completed as a part of your educational curriculum, and recorded on your transcript, will not be considered qualifying as education; however, it may be considered qualifying for specialized experience. *-OR- Education –Successful completion of graduate level course work (18 semester hours or equivalent) that directly applies to this position. Examples of acceptable graduate level courses include cartography, astronomy, geodesy, photogrammetry, oceanography, computer science, land surveying, geophysics, remote sensing, algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. IMPORTANT – PLEASE NOTE: If you are using education to qualify you must document your course work and/or degree completed in your resume or other application materials you submit. You must submit a copy of your transcripts or a complete list of college courses taken that identifies for each course the college or university, semester or quarter hours earned, grade received, and date completed. If you are qualifying based on education and you do not submit specific course work information as described previously, your application will be rated not qualified for consideration. (A copy of your official transcripts will be required before entrance on duty, if selected).* -OR- Combination of Specialized Experience and Education:**Only graduate level coursework is considered qualifying when combined with specialized experience. If you are qualifying based on education, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
You must include months, years and hours per week work
More jobs at National Park Service