- This event has passed.
Thanks to many, many awesome people and 40+ community partners, Norte is thrilled to officially open its new community, the Wheelhouse. Let’s celebrate with a good ol’ fashioned pinata smashing after school on Tuesday, September 11 at 4 p.m.
There’ll be snacks too, of course!
Everyone is welcome.
Why is the Wheelhouse a big deal? For the past year, Norte has loved calling the Civic Center home, but thanks to explosive growth, we need more room! The Clubhouse is bursting at the seams.
In partnership with Grand Traverse County Parks and Recreation, the Keep It Rolling campaign transformed the long-neglected historic Old Northwest Michigan Fairgrounds building at the Civic Center into a community learning center.
Like other learning centers, the new Wheelhouse will teach and reinforce bike education through a variety of programs as well as independent and self-directed learning activities and will be home to:
- The Traverse City Community Bike Shop: Sharing tools, benches, bikes, and knowledge with the public so they can repair and maintain their bikes.
- The Grand Traverse Kids’ Bike Library: Ensuring awesome kids have awesome bikes no matter their family’s resources.
- El Barrio Bike Fix: A weekly summertime community bike fix where we fix, create, tweak, align, repair, maintain and adjust bicycles together.
- La Solucion: A bike mechanic apprenticeship program that trains local high schoolers to become employable at local bike shops.
- The Civic Center Traffic Garden: A future Safe Routes To School project to allow elementary students to learn bike safety skills in a safe setting.
The Wheelhouse will allow Norte to do better—to reach our bike-loving arms wider to not only physically transform a very visible corner in Traverse City but to help weave a culture of health into our community so we can be our best—our healthiest.