Sylvan Learning Centers of Traverse City is hiring tutors / teachers for reading, math, ACT, SAT, robotics, and coding. We would love to hear from you!
Sylvan Learning Center, the nation's leading provider of educational services, seeks part-time teachers. At Sylvan Learning Center, we teach students (Kindergarten through High School) at various levels to increase confidence and independence, providing them with skills that will last a lifetime. Centers offer instruction in Reading, Writing, Math, Homework Support, Study Skills and College Prep (ACT/SAT).
At our Traverse City locations, we are always seeking qualified teachers. In addition, you must be enthusiastic, warm and caring!
The Sylvan Teacher is responsible for creating a positive personal learning experience for students by teaching students using Sylvan program materials. Using the program materials, the teacher creates balanced and robust learning experiences for students. The Sylvan Teacher evaluates student progress on each assignment, communicates this progress, and works with Center staff to ensure learning is personal for each student.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Prepares for each instructional session; Gathers and prepares materials as appropriate
- Greets students and initiates instruction to personally engage each student
- Instructs students according to the design of the Sylvan programs
- Manages students, tasks and time to create a balanced and robust instructional session
- Evaluates and records the progress of each student on their program assignment
- Uses praise and encouragement to ensure students are engaged and inspired to learn
- Motivates students with Sylvan tokens given for specific achievements according to the Sylvan instructional management standards
- Records and tracks tokens earned by students
- Manages the conclusion of each instructional session and manages the completion of learning log and transition activities; Supports procedures to ensure student safety and well-being
- Communicates specific student needs to Center staff
- Attends periodic staff meetings and completes ongoing training as needed
Completes certification training on each Sylvan program taught to students KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
Language Arts and Study Skills Program Teachers: * Four year degree or equivalent required
- State or provincial teaching credentials preferred (current or expired)
- Minimum of one or two years of teaching experience preferred
Knowledge of phonics and reading comprehension preferred for reading teachers
Math Program Teachers:* Four year degree required in a discipline requiring 3 or more years of college level math
SAT/ACT, Test Prep, and Advanced Reading Skills Teachers:* Four year degree or equivalent preferred
no more than 4 students per teacher for our regular programs
fully prepared lesson plans and materials are provided
a warm, friendly atmosphere
*competitive pay based on experience and qualifications
Thank you and we would love to hear from interested candidates!
We also have openings in Grand Rapids, Portage, Rockford, Grandville, and Muskegon