Strawberry Salad with Honey Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
Native Americans named June’s full moon Strawberry Moon after the blink of time it takes for the tiny white flowers in the berry patch to come to fruition, and then leave us again. A little peppery, a little sweet, a little creamy, this salad is a wonderful, savory way to eat berries, so you can still have strawberry shortcake with crunchy, buttery drop biscuits for dessert.
- 3 cups baby greens
- 3 cups arugula
- 3 green onions, sliced thin on the bias
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skins rubbed off, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
Vinaigrette Briskly whisk all ingredients or shake in a small jar with a tightly fitting lid. Salad Layer all ingredients in a large bowl or divide equally among 4 to 6 plates. Drizzle with poppy seed vinaigrette. Serves 4 to 6.