Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan.
BSN Required or Agreement to Complete For those hired into an RN position after September 1, 2013, it is required to obtain a BSN within 5 years of start date.
Experience in the clinical area in which application has been made is desirable.
Is a self-directed professional with the ability to make independent judgments directing patient care.
Demonstrates ability in using the computer with Windows format preferred.
STANDARDS OF PRACTICE
- Collects health data in a systematic and ongoing manner involving the patient, family, and other health care providers as appropriate. Determines the priority of data collection based on the patient's immediate condition or needs. Documents relevant data in a retrievable form.
Derives diagnoses from the assessment data. Validates with the patient, family, and/or other healthcare providers and documents.
Identification of Outcomes
Involves the patient, family, and other healthcare providers in formulating outcomes from the diagnosis that are individualized and includes a time estimate for attainment. Determines outcomes that are culturally appropriate, realistic, attainable and measurable. Documents expected outcomes as measurable goals.
Individualizes a plan of care with the patient, family, and other health care providers that prescribe interventions to attain expected outcomes. Develops a plan of care that establishes priorities, provides for continuity, and is documented.
Implements the plan of care in a safe, timely, and appropriate manner and documents interventions. Coordinates and collaborates in care delivery. Employs health teaching and health promotion strategies.
- Evaluates the patient's progress toward attainment of outcomes and includes the patient, family, and other health care providers as appropriate. Documents the patient's responses to the interventions.
PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
Quality of Care
- Systematically evaluates the quality and effectiveness of nursing practice. Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare Participates in quality improvement activities. Acknowledges that safety is a self-responsibility. Knows the physical requirements of the job and works within those guidelines. Performs job duties safely at all times, utilizing body mechanics and transferring/lifting techniques. Plans actions to promote safety. Reports any unsafe situation/equipment according to Hospital procedure. Participates in quality of care activities at the unit level. Supports and participates in Shared Governance activities. Utilizes the results of quality of care activities to initiate changes in nursing practice.
Evaluates own nursing practice in relation to professional practice standards and guidelines, relevant statutes, rules, and regulations.
Engages in performance appraisal on a regular basis, identifying areas of strength as well as areas for professional development. Takes action to achieve identified goals. Acquires and maintains current knowledge and competency in nursing practice.
Participates in ongoing educational activities related to clinical knowledge and professional issues.
Complies with mandatory continuing education requirements to maintain licensure and meet job requirements. Seeks experiences that reflect current clinical practice in order to maintain current clinical skills and competence.
- Interacts with, and contributes to the professional development of peers and other health care providers as colleagues. Contributes to an environment that is conducive to the clinical education of nursing students, other health care students, and other employees as appropriate. Contributes to a supportive and healthy work environment.
- Utilizes the American Nurses Association's Code of Ethics for Nurses and the hospital ethics committee to guide practice. Maintains patient confidentiality within legal and regulatory parameters. Acts as a patient advocate and assists patients in developing skills so they can advocate for themselves. Delivers care in a manner that is culturally sensitive and preserves patient autonomy, dignity, and rights. Maintains a therapeutic and professional patient-nurse relationship with appropriate professional role boundaries. Reports illegal, incompetent, or impaired practices.
- Collaborates with the patient, family, and other healthcare providers for provision of seamless delivery of services. Consults with other health care providers for patient care as needed. Participates, as appropriate, in the organization's structures and processes.
Utilizes current research findings and current practice guidelines to strengthen patient care. Participates in the identification and implementation of suitable research activities, which man include identification of a research question, participating in the conduct of research, and incorporating research as a basis for learning.
Uses research findings in the development of policies, procedures, and quality improvement efforts.
Considers factors related to safety, effectiveness, and cost in planning and delivering patient care. Assigns or delegates tasks consistent with organizational policies, procedures, legal, and regulatory requirements, according to the knowledge and skills of the designated caregiver
- Provides leadership in the profession and the professional practice setting. Supervises LPNs, techs, clerks, nursing assistants, and/or other appropriate categories for the care assigned to the patients for whom the RN is accountable. Serves in the Charge Nurse role when needed on the unit. Promotes advancement of the profession through involvement with professional organizations