Ingredients for the Soup:
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sweet yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 2¼ pounds fresh asparagus, removing bottom 1½ inches, rinsed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken stock (homemade or prepared)
- 3 large fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional depending on saltiness of stock)
Ingredients for the Morel Topping:
- 1½ tablespoons low-calorie butter substitute or olive oil
- 8 medium-sized fresh morels per person (should equal ½ cup sliced morels per serving), brushed, lightly rinsed and drained
Immersion blender, Vita Mix or food processor
In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat and sauté onions 12–14 minutes or until lightly browned, reduce heat to medium and add asparagus pieces. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add chicken stock and let soup come to a boil (12–15 minutes). Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer for 30 minutes. At about 45 minutes add mint leaves and process with an immersion blender, Vita Mix or food processor. Process the soup ingredients until smooth. Adjust seasoning, if necessary.
In a large sauté pan over medium heat; add butter substitute or olive oil. When hot, add morels and cook for 6–8 minutes. When cool enough to handle, slice morels into rounds. Reheat soup if necessary. Place hot soup in individual serving bowls, top each bowl with ½ cup of morel topping and serve.