Medical Lab Technician
SUMMARY: Responsible for the accurate and precise performance of routine laboratory procedures. Report results in an accurate and timely manner. Maintain laboratory instruments, quality control testing and records activity.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: Associate's degree as Medical/Clinical Laboratory Technician or related degree.
Registered Medical Laboratory Technician with the American Society of Clinical Pathologists or equivalent. Nationally recognized certification must be maintained and up to date during tenure.
Registry eligible technicians must be certified within 12 months of hire.
(Site dependent) BLS certification or the ability to earn such in a timely manner after hire.
ORGANIZATION: Under direct supervision of technical director and manager; also may receive instruction from pathologists, section heads and technologists.
Has daily working contact with laboratory staff, nursing personnel, inpatients and outpatients, and providers
POPULATIONS SERVED COMPETENCIES, INCLUDING AGE OF PATIENTS SERVED
Cares for patients in the age category(s) checked below:
X_All ages (birth & above)
- Supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Munson Healthcare.
- Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare with a focus on True North
- Promotes personal and patient safety.
- Uses effective customer service/interpersonal skills at all times
- Meets expectations outlined in Commitment to My Co-workers. Demonstrates ability to communicate effectively and work in a team setting.
- Performs routine clinical laboratory tests in assigned section of the clinical laboratory utilizing automated and non-automated equipment.
- Assess results with respect to quality control, review results for accuracy and communicates results of tests performed to physicians and other authorized personnel. Validate accuracy of test results and refer unusual results to MLS, Section Head or Pathologist.
- Communicates problems or matter of a scientific, technical and/or administrative nature within the department.
- Analyzes and evaluates laboratory test results to determine inconsistent results, seeks consultation when necessary and takes appropriate action. Recognizes abnormal test results.
- Maintains accurate records of tests conducted, results, data and patient tested including calculation of result from supplied data, obtained data and statistics for quality assurance. Assists with accreditation readiness activities.
- Maintain equipment in operational condition through making minor adjustments, performing scheduled maintenance and troubleshooting using departmental resources and manufacturer's telephone trouble lines.
- Performs related duties such as obtaining blood specimens, processing specimens, and clerical activities. Assists leaders in development of technical procedures and protocols.
- Maintains clean and efficient work area and replenishes supplies as necessary.
- Prioritizes workload to maximize efficiency while meeting patient and provider needs.
- Ability to cover various shifts, if needed.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.