Medical Lab Scientist
The laboratory at Munson Medical Center is a dynamic fast-paced clinical laboratory that utilizes some of the most innovative technology available, with state of the art instrumentation/automation and annual test volumes of over 4 million. Our laboratory scored nationally in the top 25% for laboratory Services based on physician opinion. In 2016 we received a Four Star Excellence Award from Professional Research Consultants, Inc., and our pathology group is nationally recognized for their referral services. The laboratory's focus on quality services provides excellent patient care for the Northern Michigan Region.
A Bachelor's degree in Clinical Laboratory Science/Medical Technology or related degree.
Registered Medical Technologist / Medical Laboratory Scientist with the American Society of Clinical Pathologists or equivalent.
Nationally recognized certification or eligible (ASCP) as a MT(ASCP), MLS (ASCP) or CLS (ASCP). Must be certified within 12 months of hire and recertify if/as required.
Under direct supervision of manager, director, section head; also may receive instruction from medical directors.
- Supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Munson Healthcare
- Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare with a focus on True North.
- Meets expectations outlined in Commitment To My Co-workers. Demonstrates ability to communicate effectively and work in a team setting
- Performs routine and special clinical laboratory tests in assigned sections of the clinical laboratory, utilizing automated and non-automated equipment.
- Assesses results with respect to quality control, reviews results for accuracy, and communicates results of test performed to physicians and other authorized personnel.
- Communicates problems or matters of a scientific, technical and/or administrative nature both within the department and interdepartmentally.
- Analyzes and evaluates laboratory test results to determine inconsistent results and takes appropriate action. Recognizes abnormal test results and answers inquiries about them, the methodology, specificity, and sensitivity; answers questions about specific factors that can influence test results
- Maintains accurate records of tests conducted, results, data and patients tested including calculation of results from supplied data, obtained data and statistics for quality assurance. Assists with accreditation readiness activities.
- Maintains equipment in operational condition through making minor adjustments, performing scheduled maintenance, and troubleshooting major problems utilizing departmental resources and manufacturer's telephone trouble lines.
- Provides instruction in basic theory, laboratory technique, instrumentation, and application of laboratory test procedures to new scientists or technicians and students.
- Performs related duties such as obtaining blood specimens, processing specimens, and clerical activities. Assists leaders in development of technical procedures and protocols.
- Maintains clean and efficient work area and replenishes supplies as necessary.
- Prioritizes workload to maximize efficiency while meeting patient and physician needs.
- Helps evaluate new techniques and procedures in terms of space and personal requirement, method comparison, cost analysis, and the establishment of reference intervals; writes and revises technical procedures
- Ability to cover various shifts if needed
- Other duties as assigned