Medical Business Specialist
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: High school graduate or GED. Proficient in typing, Windows, and experience with multiple computer systems. A minimum of one year experience in a medical office setting. One year of experience in a relevant health care setting will be considered in lieu of a physician office setting. Excellent customer relations behavior in all interactions. The ability to work positively with all levels of clinical staff in completion of job responsibilities. Must be able to work in a fast paced environment, delivering exceptional customer service while accompanying patients, family and visitors. Serves as a role model in demonstrating exceptional job performance. Completion of medical terminology course.
PREFERRED QUALITIES: Associates degree or higher or equivalent education Prior experience as a Medical Practice Business Associate. Experience with Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Medicare, Medicaid, and other insurance coverage. Proven ability to provide excellent customer service and effective communication in a high volume, fast paced office environment. Familiarity with ICD-9/ICD 10and CPT codes. Nextgen or other EHR experience desirable.
ORGANIZATION: Reports to the Practice Manager or designee
SPECIFIC DUTIES MAY INCLUDE SOME OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Munson Healthcare. Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare.
- Has basic understanding of Relationship-Based Care (RBC) principles, meets expectations outlined in Commitment To My Co-workers, and supports RBC initiatives.
- Demonstrates adherence to all policies and procedures.
- Interaction with customers is expected to be friendly, appropriate and accurate. As the first line of communication with the public and outside callers, this individual must create a professional image through outstanding telephone courtesy, pleasantness, the ability to keep their composure and the use of judgment and tact in dealing with others.
- Maintains a professional working relationship with staff members, ancillary services and medical staff.
- Obtains/verifies all required patient information and enters the information into the registration system following the screen flow in an accurate manner. Completes all assigned registrations in an expedient manner subject to department requirements.
- Inputs and updates all insurance information in appropriate screens.
- Schedules patient appointments which may include: return office visits, referrals, diagnostic testing/procedures.
- Review instructions/preps, time and dates for diagnostic testing/procedures.
- Collect copays and balances due on patient accounts.
- Greets patients professionally in person and over the telephone.
- Respond effectively and in a customized manner to patients and families.
- Solve problems and anticipating peak periods of patient traffic and/or call volume in order to plan workload accordingly.
- Document patient messages/requests in EHR and forward to appropriate clinical staff/physician.
- Generate and print "meaningful use" documents for patient at time of checkout or telephone contact.
- Manages recall, physician scheduling group inbox, message box, or any other special communication assignments as assigned.
- Keeps offices and work area orderly and properly stocked.
- Responsible to access department communications daily utilizing telephone voice mail and/ or e-mail
- Serves as support to other clerical staff, including training and problem solving.
- May be assigned specialized tasks, including reports, process/protocol development, or department specific projects.
- May be assigned to provide support to outreach clinics, including travel and working at an alternate site.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
EXPECTATIONS 1. Customer Focus: Ensures customer satisfaction 2. Communication: Clear and courteous at all times, works to resolve conflicts 3. Analytical Thinking: Determines priority and distinguishes between critical and non-critical information for problem resolution 4. Concern for Order and Standard: Checks accuracy of own work and takes accountability 5. Flexibility: Reprioritizes quickly to accommodate unexpected demands 6. Teamwork: Recognizes that others possess valuable expertise and actively solicits others' opinions, ideas and recommendations. Builds consensus with others