Coder Abstractor – Remote
Associate's degree in Health Record Technology or related healthcare field and two to three years of professional coding experience and must obtain the credentials of a certified professional coder (CPC) within 18 months of employment OR three to five years of professional coding experience and has obtained the credentials of a certified professional coder (CPC).
Must attain a minimum of 90% on Munson Coding-Billing Test for consideration of role, and maintain a test score of 90% or above on a semi-annual testing basis.
Effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to comfortably interact with diverse populations.
Ability to demonstrate competency with a standard desktop and Windows-based computer system, including a basic understanding of email, e-learning, intranet and computer navigation. Must have knowledge and ability to learn, access and utilize the relevant computer programs listed below within 90 days of hire:
eClinicalWorks NextGen Misys PowerChart Microsoft office
Ability to exercise independent judgment within scope of knowledge and responsibility.
GENERAL SUMMARY Responsible for charge capture process for professional charges within the Munson system, including but not limited to: verifying and/or analyzing medical record and/or encounter form documentation to determine the principle and all secondary diagnoses and procedures; assigning diagnostic codes, procedural codes and modifiers using coding guidelines established by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and Munson; performing data entry; and, performing discrepancy resolution. Serves as a liaison between CBO and sites/departments. Assists in the orientation and training of new employees within the coding and charge capture area.
ORGANIZATION This position's primary customers are the practices of Munson Physician Network. This position reports to the Director of the Central Billing Office.
1) Supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Munson Healthcare.
2) Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare.
3) Promotes personal and patient safety. 4) Has basic understanding of Relationship-Based Care (RBC) principles, meets expectations outlined in Commitment To My Co-workers, and supports RBC unit action plans.
5) Uses effective customer service/interpersonal skills at all times. 6) Responsible for reviewing office based electronic charges and encounter forms for completion and accuracy, including accuracy of ICD9/10CM, CPT and HCPCS modifier assignment. Codes and enters charges at a 95% accuracy rate.
7) Reviews and interprets physician documentation of surgical procedures to accurately assign and enter billing codes. Identifies all applicable diagnosis procedures and codes. Codes and enters charges at a 95% accuracy rate.
8) Works with central billing team to ensure charges are coded and entered within two business days.
9) Identifies educational needs and/or compliance issues and reports them to the Director of Central Billing Office.
10) Performs accurate data entry of charges.
11) Responsible for resolving coding discrepancies related to coding and revenue capture.
12) Responsible for obtaining and maintaining education appropriate to the position.
13) Serves as an expert resource for physicians, office management staff and central billing staff. Researches and responds to coding and compliance questions, coordinates accurate assignment of procedure codes and modifiers.
14) Performs other duties as assigned.