Cherry Hut’s Veggie Quiche
Leave it to the family behind Benzie County’s iconic Cherry Hut restaurant to excel at anything baked in a crust. The business that was launched in 1922 from a roadside stand that sold home-baked cherry pies (with cherries fresh from the orchard) also makes a memorable quiche. It’s called Caleb’s Quiche on the Cherry Hut menu, in honor of owners Andy and Christy Case’s youngest son.
Recipe makes two large springform pan quiches.
- 2 doughs for two pie crusts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chopped fresh broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 each small green, red, and orange peppers, finely chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 4 cups shredded cheese (any kind that you like; we use colby-jack)
- 12 eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt