Blueberry Muffins with Sea Salt Cardamom Streusel
The perfect mixture of sweet and salty, these blueberry muffins are meant for sunny blue-sky mornings. The addition of cardamom, sea salt and maple syrup really puts a traditional recipe over the top! Big thanks to Michelle Rodriguez for sharing.
Makes 12 small muffins or 6 jumbo muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup blueberries (preferably fresh & local, but frozen works too!)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- Sea salt (sprinkle on top)
- 1 tablespoon Michigan Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups flour, with 3/4 white sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and 2 tsp baking powder. In the same bowl add the one egg, 1/3 cup milk, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/3 cup vegetable oil & mix just until combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Fill greased muffin tins with muffin mixture until 2/3 full. You will be topping them with the streusel so don’t overfill.
- Mix all streusel toppings in a separate bowl (minus the salt) and mash with a fork until it resembles a crumbly mixture. Top each muffin with a little streusel and sprinkle on a little sea salt to finish.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean, and enjoy with your morning coffee or tea!