Bacon and Eggs with Crispy Fingerling Potato Pancake, Smoked Steelhead Roe, Bourbon Infused Maple Syrup
Chef Joseph Goerge prepared Bacon and Eggs with Crispy Fingerling Potato Pancake, Smoked Steelhead Roe, Bourbon Infused Maple Syrup for the mynorth.com Chef Showdown: Local Foods video challenge. mynorth.com, the online home of Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine, challenged Northern Michigan chefs to prepare a dish that is made with 95 percent Michigan products. We call it the Chef Showdown: Local Foods. Northern Michigan’s chefs, including Grand Traverse Resort's Executive Chef Joseph George, responded with gusto.
The rules? Prepare a dish of your choice, savory or sweet, but 90 percent of the ingredients must be either raised, grown or foraged in Northern Michigan and an additional 5 percent must be raised, grown or foraged somewhere in Michigan. Additionally, the chefs agreed to provide our readers with their recipes and list of local ingredients—so the MyNorth audience could shop local and prepare the dishes themselves at home.
With so much goodness coming from so many restaurant kitchens we sent MyNorth Media videographer Kris Riley to capture the action in high-definition video. Click to watch Chef George prepare this dish. To watch the other videos in this series go to mynorth.com and type “Chef Showdown: Local Foods” into the search bar.
- 2 medium sized fingerling potatoes (Werp Farms, Buckley)
- 2 wild leeks—locally picked
- 2 ounces smoked steelhead roe (smoked salmon could be substituted) (BLiS, Grand Rapids)
- 1 ounce sour cream (Bareman Dairy, Holland)
- 1 ounce bourbon infused maple syrup (BLiS, Grand Rapids)
- ½ ounce BLiS Elixir – Aged Sherry Vinegar (BLiS, Grand Rapids)
- ¼ ounce celery micro greens (Werp Farms, Buckley)
- 1 hard boiled egg (Bakers Green Acres, Marion)
- 1 slice pancetta (Made at Grand Traverse Resort & Spa with Michigan pork belly)