Apple Vegetable Casserole
Of course, apples are good for you. They are very low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium, and are a good source of dietary fiber and vitamin C. And they aren’t just for dessert. Here is Phyllis Kilcherman’s recipe for a vegetable casserole with apples, which she says is great for church dinners or family reunions.
Kilcherman's Christmas Cove Farm is a must-visit orchard in Leelanau County.
- 4 Gravenstein, Mother, or any other tart apples, cut into chunks
- 3 cups zucchini, diced
- 3 cups stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 2 cups sliced water chestnuts
- 3 slices bread, toasted and crumbled
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste