Light and bright, this zesty shortbread gets its zippy flavors from Fustini’s lemon and rosemary olive oils. And these are not just any oils: Fustini’s, with locations in Traverse City, Petoskey, Holland and Ann Arbor, carries oils and vinegars from select artisans and small-batch growers from around the world.
Fustini’s Meyer Lemon Shortbread
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons demerara sugar + 2 1/2 teaspoons for topping
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 5 ounces Fustini’s Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 3/4 ounces Fustini’s Meyer Lemon Olive Oil
- 1 1/4 ounces Fustini’s Rosemary Olive Oil
- Zest of two lemons
Combine flour, powdered sugar, 5 tablespoons demerara sugar and salt in a bowl. Add in all three oils and mix until just combined. Pack into 9×13 pan and sprinkle with lemon zest and remaining demerara sugar. Bake at 300 degrees for 23 minutes. Remove from the oven, and carefully remove the shortbread from the pan. Cut while still warm, but do not separate the bars until cooled.