Witches Brew, Leelanau Wine Cellars’ spiced-just-right red blend, is the fall wine you’ll want to drink all year.
You’ll recognize her across the grocery aisle. Bright orange label. That sassy witch stirring her cauldron of Witches Brew. It’s Leelanau Wine Cellars’ classic sweet red wine with traditional mulling spices—a secret, cozy mix of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
Liz McGuffin of the Metro Detroit lifestyle blog With Wonder and Whimsy says she always looks forward to her first Witches Brew spotting. “The display at the grocery store is like my official start to fall. We still have hot days, and the leaves haven’t changed. But drinking Witches Brew is the kickoff to the season!”
Leelanau Wine Cellars, part of the Leelanau Peninsula Wine Trail, has been crafting wine in beautiful Omena, Michigan, since 1974. The winery garnered attention across the Midwest for its newly released bubbly in a can, but it’s been famous for the widely—and wildly—adored fall favorite, Witches Brew, for more than 24 years. And here’s a delicious secret: Its fans love it literally anytime.
Liz says this is her go-to good-time wine, “The first time I tried it was at a euchre party with friends. Our host held it out proudly and proclaimed ‘It’s HALLOWEEN WINE, can you believe it?! Eight bucks ($7.99)!’ And it’s been a go-to wine in our friend circle ever since.”
Leelanau Peninsula native and photographer Rachel Straughen agrees: “It’s definitely a fall treat for me. Could I drink it all year? Absolutely.” Rachel lives with her husband and two goofy golden retrievers in Interlochen, Michigan, where they have year-round visitors. Witches Brew is on steady rotation. “Right now it’s perfect for out-of-town guests visiting for fall colors or winter activities. After snowshoe hikes or adventures, a warm mug of Witches Brew always hits the spot.”
Photo by Rachel Straughen Photography
Witches Brew is available at retailers and grocers across the Midwest, but you can’t top the experience of sipping it in the Omena tasting room. Says Rachel, “My husband and I tend to take a peninsula drive during the fall and winter seasons to see where the road takes us. Is it a coincidence we always end up at Leelanau Cellars? Always. LWC is amazing at easing you into wine and developing your taste buds. Even for spouses that initially refused to ever drink wine (*cough, cough,* my husband).”
The tasting room’s perch above Grand Traverse Bay offers one of the most stunning fall color views in the region and—bonus—there is a brand new heated tent offering an unforgettable outdoor experience for October and November. Think warm fluffy blankets, twinkle lights and full pours of LWC wine, all in a protected, snug patio space with views of the bay.
Even more reasons for a fall color visit to the tasting room:
- Leelanau Cellars is launching a limited-edition Witches Brew Apple Wine: All-Natural Fruit Wine with Spices Added. It tastes like sweet crisp apples, vanilla and cinnamon—like a crumble from granny’s kitchen. It’s perfect warm or chilled. Available in the tasting room only.
- Have you tried Witches Brew warmed? Buy a 12-ounce LWC campfire mug for $10 and get a pour of warmed wine for free…
- Witches Brew Moomers! Yep, Leelanau Cellars partnered with Northern Michigan’s favorite ice cream shop, Moomers, to make a special batch of Witches Brew ice cream in single-serve cups. The wine-infused ice cream has a cinnamon caramel swirl and toasty pecans. (Stash a few containers in your freezer and your fall desserts à la mode will never be the same.)
- Snag Witches Brew koozies, shirts and more with that delightfully devilish saying…
- Stock up on Witches Brew and do like Liz: Heat the wine on low over the stove and pour it into a mug for board game night. Sip it on date night with order-in pizza and scary movies. Have it at the ready for Halloweekend guests. Or drink it … just because.
Leelanau Wine Cellars: 5019 N West Bay Shore Dr. (M22) // Omena // 231.386.5201