Why are Mackinac Island and Mackinaw City spelled differently? And how are they pronounced? Mack-in-aw or Mack-i-nack—we get to the bottom of the mystery. Here to help is Phil Porter, Director of Mackinac State Historic Parks.
Watch this video before your Mackinac or Mackinaw vacation—or the locals will laugh at you.
Explore Mackinac Island, Michigan
- Northern Michigan Color Tour: Mackinac Island in Fall
- Go on a Mackinac Island Winter Vacation, You’ll Thank Us
- Historic Craig Mawr Cottage Has Gorgeous 4-Tiered Garden on Mackinac Island
- Meet Carleton Varney, the Decorator Behind Mackinac Island’s Iconic Grand Hotel
- The Gruesome Medical Breakthrough of Dr. William Beaumont on Mackinac Island
- Garden Mixology: Mission Point Resort Infuses Flowers and Herbs Into Fresh Craft Cocktails