Each night as the sinking sun sets the horizon ablaze, thousands pause around the Mitten to witness the fiery spectacle. From relaxing on the beach to taking an evening stroll, these locals know the best places to watch sunsets in Northern Michigan.
1. Charlevoix | Photo by Megan Noble
Head to the nearest pier for an uninterrupted view as the last remnant of daylight burns like embers on the horizon.
2. Elberta | Photo by Heather Higham
Take an evening stroll along the boardwalk—it’s the perfect way to enjoy the view as the sun sinks into the lake.
3. Traverse City | Photo by yours truly
As the golden hour falls, sneak away from the clamor of downtown and meander along the docks at the edge of Clinch Park.
4. Wilderness State Park | Photo by Lydia Mejia
Wade into the shallows and wait for a bite as the cotton candy colors of the sky reflect off the lake.
5. Presque Isle | Photo by Superior Images
To reach the highest level of sunset enjoyment, find a new, unexpected angle for a fresh perspective.
6. Petoskey | Photo by Stella Dollan
When even the water seems to recognize the moment of calm as another day fades into night, take a moment and enjoy the serenity.
7. Honor | Photo by Mirella Rosol
When the distinction between sky and earth becomes blurred, immerse yourself in the blazing hues from the bow of a boat.
9. Pictured Rocks | Photo by Andy Merkel
Paddle along the towering rock cliffs to discover endless Lake Superior views that are incredible during the day but even better at dusk.
10. St. Helen | Photo by Michelle Koczan
No matter where you happen to be, we all know the best place to take in a sunset is next to the people who matter most.