The Garden Walk will feature seven delightful gardens in the Beulah area, with refreshments at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church. While enjoying a break at the church, visitors may also see a lovely memorial garden and a new perennial bed that was planted in 2016. Proceeds from the event will be used to enhance the Periwinkle Garden Club’s many projects within the City of Frankfort.
This self-guided tour will include six beautiful private gardens and one public garden. The gardens may be viewed in any order from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday, July 14. A map of the tour will be printed on the tickets, which may be purchased at Hull’s of Frankfort and Crystal Crate and Cargo in downtown Beulah. Cost: $8 in advance; $10 on the day of the walk.
Suzie Anderson, former Periwinkle Garden Club president and certified Master Gardener, shares her top five garden tips:
- We encourage organic gardening. Do not use chemicals that are harmful to birds, animals or beneficial insects.
- When possible, plant some native species. These help both the birds and butterflies.
- Visit https://www.habitatmatters.org/
to learn about invasive plants in our region, and avoid planting them in your garden.
- Get after the weeds while they are still small, and before they go to seed, thus saving work for yourself.
- Do as many garden chores as possible in the fall, which will help cut down on the many spring chores.