The Traverse City Film Festival is Traverse City’s film extravaganza of the summer. We’re talking world-class filmmakers, free panel discussions with directors and actors, a giant screen overlooking Grand Traverse Bay, incredible parties, and, of course, an unbelievable selection of movies for the whole family.
This year, the festival will be held July 25 through July 30, and public ticketing starts Saturday, July 15. Here’s the full list of films being shown at Traverse City Film Festival 2017!
In an email release, Michael Moore says, “The movies I’ve selected this year are bold, brave, larger-than-life stories that made me laugh, and sometimes cry, but always left me with a sense of hope and wonder. I can’t wait for you to see them.”
- Two new (temporary) big screens: Kirkbride Hall at Grand Traverse Commons and the newly renovated auditorium in Central High School—transformed into cinemas by the same technical geniuses who remade the State Theatre, City Opera House, Old Town Playhouse, Con Foster Museum, and our other venerable venues into world-class movie theaters. Check ’em out, they’ll be this year’s hot tickets. (Central Grade School is closed for the summer, but returns next year!)
- The Travel Ban Sidebar, featuring seven daring and beautiful stories that celebrate our connected world.
- The Buzz—free movies and events, all day —will be moving around to different venues this year. Look for the FREE listings in every timeslot.
- Panels are also on the move. No longer stuck at the City Opera House every morning, we’re changing up the times and locations of the free daily panels so that more people can enjoy them.
- Food on Film is Supersized. Enjoy more special screenings featuring candid conversations with chefs and filmmakers and sample bites of food inspired by the films.
- Our most popular offerings return better than ever—The Woz, Kids Fest(now in beautiful Clinch Park), movies for #Tweens, Movies on a Boat, and some midnight frights and delights.
- Movies Around the Bay now goes farther around the bay with the addition of the beautiful new Lyric Theatre in Harbor Springs kicking things off. Enjoy a week of movies before the festival begins and help relieve your schedule log jam.
- Great guests! Film lover, critic, and historian extraordinaire Leonard Maltin will be joining us in TC. You’ll see him around the fest as well as recording his Nerdist Podcast, Maltin on Movies. And speaking of movies and podcasts, TC’s adopted son Doug Benson returns bringing new funny friends, and maybe running into another TCFF 2017 funnyman, guest Gilbert Gottfried.
- The 117 feature films and the filmmakers we’re announcing today are just the beginning. Exciting announcements will follow in the coming days.
- And if the hologram system we’ve been testing succeeds, you’ll see me floating above the Open Space on clear, moonless nights.
Click the cover for your FREE insider’s guide to the festival!
For more details on Traverse City Film Festival 2017, visit traversecityfilmfest.org!