was awarded eight individual medals at the 11th Annual Spirits Competition, held as part of its annual conference in Baltimore, Maryland earlier this month.
The Traverse City-founded craft distillery received “Best of Category—Certified Craft Distilled Spirits” in the Grain-to-Glass Vodka – Residual Base Character category for its True North Rye Vodka. That spirit also received a Double Gold Medal in the “Certified Craft Distilled Spirits” category.
- Gold: Islay Rye Whiskey in the “Smoked Whiskey” category
- Silver: 100% Straight Bourbon Whiskey in the “Bourbon” category
- Silver: Ole George 100% Straight Rye Whiskey in the “Rye Whiskey” category
- Bronze: Peninsula Gin in the “Contemporary Grain-to-Glass Gin” category
- Bronze: True North Chipotle Vodka in the “Flavored Vodka” category
- Bronze: Cask Strength Straight Rye Whiskey in the “Rye Whiskey” category
Grand Traverse Distillery currently operates five tasting rooms in Michigan, including two in Traverse City (the original location on Industrial Circle and one downtown on Front Street); in downtown Frankenmuth; in Leland on the Leelanau Peninsula, not far from (open seasonally); and in Grand Rapids (which is in the process of moving to a new location, scheduled to open in September 2017).
The distillery’s spirits are distributed by Republic National Distributing Company and can also be found in over 900 retail outlets and 400 restaurants/bars in Michigan. The company is looking to expand to several other states as well as begin exporting internationally.