Local dietician, Patti Hennrick, shares this fun and simple recipe—a favorite of hers for a summer day with kids. Stop by your nearest farmers market, grab a basket of Northern Michigan strawberries, and get eating on this healthy summer snack!
There’s nothing better than fresh Northern Michigan strawberries. They’re sweet and delicious and loaded with Vitamin C, which helps keep our immune systems healthy and strong. Strawberries are delicious by themselves, or you can add a dose of antioxidants by making these awesome chocolate ladybugs. We use semi-sweet dark chocolate chips to create the spots on the ladybugs that children and adults go wild about. Make this simple and quick treat in minutes. Enjoy!
Ingredients for 1 serving:
- 5 large strawberries
- 30 semi-sweet dark chocolate chips
- Parents or older children, cut the tops off the berries, then cut them lengthwise.
- Children can gently push 3 chocolate chips into each half to create the ladybug’s spots.
- Serve on a festive summer platter.
- Serving size: 5 strawberries
- Calories: 100
- Fat: 4.5 grams
Recipe adapted from Eatright.org from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Find more dishes featuring Northern Michigan strawberries in MyNorth’s recipe directory!
#2016 #Kids #Food_&_Drink #Everyday_Fun