This Memorial Weekend, get outside and enjoy a gorgeous hike through luscious green woods, along curving bluffs and across sandy shores. These top 10 Northern Michigan hiking trails were determined by more than 10,000 voters from across the state who weighed in on 101 things they love about Northern Michigan. Their votes determined over 300 Red Hot Best winners. Find the entire list of categories, winners and much more in the Red Hot Best June 2016 issue of Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine.
- First Place: Empire Bluffs, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
- Second Place: Pyramid Point, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
- Third Place: Grand Traverse Commons, Building 50, State Hospital Grounds, Traverse City
The rest of the 2016 Red Hot Best winners in alphabetical order.
- Alligator Hill, Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore
- Arcadia Dunes, Arcadia
- Leelanau State Park, Northport
- Mackinac Island State Park, Mackinac Island
- North Country Trail
- Pictured Rocks, Upper Peninsula
- Sleeping Bear Point Trail, Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore
To help you find some of these stunning trails, the Little Traverse Conservancy has developed a free trail app for Apple and Android smartphones. In addition to highlighting trails on preserves owned by the conservancy, the app shows other trails such as the North Country Trail (a Red Hot Best winner!). The app allows users to choose a trail by category—hiking, biking, hunting, fishing, etc.—and includes information on water frontage, length of trails, recommended activities, interactive maps and more.
“The best feedback we hear from people is that it shows the trails and preserves closest to you from exactly where you are right now,”says Anne Fleming, communications coordinator for the Little Traverse Conservancy. “Sometimes people report conditions of the trails, post pictures and more from the app.”
Red Hot Best winners were originally published in the June 2016 issue of Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine.
Special Subscription Offer: Get the Red Hot Best June 2016 issue + one-year of Traverse Magazine which includes next year’s Red Hot Best June 2017 issue!
#2016 #Up_North #Outdoors #Hike