The sun has finally peeked out from behind snow-filled clouds, and with it, Northern Michigan style lovers are shedding their heavy coats and gloves and heading to Traverse City boutiques to get ready for the transition to spring.
A major key to incorporating spring style into your wardrobe, while still keeping warm in the chilly Northern Michigan season, are accessories. Everything from jewelry to handbags and shoes can take a dull winter outfit and transform it into a chic spring outfit in the tip of a hat.
To help make the transition into spring style easier, MyNorth Media’s editorial intern Sarah Lautner, a senior at Traverse City West Senior High, visited five clothing boutiques in downtown Traverse City to bring you ideas on how to use accessories to make a spring statement.
232 E Front St., Traverse City, 231.421.3194
1. Bracelets are a simple treasure. By slipping one (or several) on, like the ones we found at Haystacks, you can shift your outfit from boring to exciting without making too much of a statement.
2. Scarves are a must-have for any Northern Michigan wardrobe, especially in the spring when the temperature is still a thing of mystery. By adding a colorful or patterned scarf you can make a statement with any outfit while still keeping nice and cozy.
3. Mix up how you wear your favorite scarf and add a simple knot to each end.
242 E Front St., Traverse City, 231.947.0633
1. If big and bold isn’t your style, Cali’s has a wide array of neutral accessories that stand out in a different way. Oversized clutches and knitted scarves with accents of fringe let you add a fun springy element to your outfit without venturing too far out of your comfort zone.
2. Statement jewelry is another easy way to take your outfit up a notch. Fun jewelry, like these beaded necklaces, adds texture and color to your outfit with minimal effort. Try layering them for an extra touch of character.
3. With summer in the docket, you tend to find all the space in your purse you had during the winter is now occupied by sunglasses, hair clips, sunscreen, etc. That’s why large, but fashionable, totes like these are a lifesaver. Now you have room for all of your essentials along with a few extra spring and summer necessities.
4. Don’t sacrifice fashion for the sake of going to the gym. Whether you’re exercising inside or out in the Northern Michigan outdoors, incorporate spring trends into workout outfits with fun printed headbands like these floral ones.
209 E Front St., Traverse City, 231.947.9401
1. Accent a cool and edgy clutch with a more feminine counterpart for a daring contrast perfect for springtime.
2. Add an oriental flair to your spring outfits with a vintage kimono. Go floral for a girlier touch, or keep it traditional for an eastern vibe to your outfit.
3. Slip into a pair of sneakers this season. Dress them down for running errands or dress them up for a day at work. Add an extra kick to your outfit and try a metallic pair instead.
4. Add a pick me up to a dull work outfit with a colorful scarf. Showcase your personality by choosing a color or pattern you really love.
5. Ditch the heavy winter boots and opt for a pair of ankle boots this season. Rock a pair of classic ankle boots to work, on a day out with the family, or even on a night out with friends.
156 E. Front St., Traverse City, 231.486.6805
1. Easily transition from work to play and back again with cutout ankle boots and wedges. Try to find a pair with texture or details, like these from Eleven, to add a little edge to your outfits.
2. Throw on a bohemian statement necklace to add a cool free-spirited vibe to your spring outfits.
3. Those who like big and bold will love this trend: metallics. Move over diamonds because gold is this girl’s new best friend. Whether it’s on a bag or your shoes, metallic accessories are sure to let you shine this spring.
4. Ever get tired of wearing the same old jewelry? Opt for a fun printed bangle instead of typical silver bracelets for a breath of new, fresh, and fashionable air.
144 Hall St., Traverse City, 231.421.9117
1. Be bold but classy by incorporating patterns into your accessories. This clutch from Relish incorporates a chic snakeskin pattern into a classic silhouette that can be taken to work or girl’s night out.
2. Add a pop of color to your everyday outfit with a colorful belt like this one. Go for pastels in the spring and something a little more vibrant in the summer to make a subtle statement.
3. Stop reaching for the same old purse, and try something new this spring. Look for a bag with a pop of color, cool design, or unique silhouette. Check out Relish for a selection of contemporary style purses that are sure to turn heads.
More Traverse City Boutiques
Traverse City Shopping
Eleven Opens in Downtown Traverse City
Northern Michigan Shopping: Traverse City’s Haystacks Dress Shops
#2016 #Spring #Grand_Traverse #Traverse_City #Downtown_Traverse_City #Live_Here