- 1 1⁄2 cups gluten free oats (toasting optional)
- 1⁄2 cup pepitas (toasting optional)
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄2 cup gluten-free rice krispies
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup natural organic peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup agave syrup
- 1⁄4 cup + 2 Tablespoons honey
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a medium size bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat the peanut butter, agave and honey until warm and remove from heat. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and vanilla extract to the peanut butter mixture.
- Quickly pour the peanut butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well to combine all dry ingredients. (Note: The heat from the mixture will melt the chocolate chips as mixture is stirred.)
- Transfer the mixture onto the prepared sheet pan of parchment paper. Form into a large rectangle (approx. 8 inches x 6 inches) by pressing mixture firmly together on the sheet pan.
- Place in refrigerator to set for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until firm. Remove bar from pan and place on a cutting board. Cut into 12 pieces (2 rows of 6).
- Wrap individually in plastic wrap or keep in an airtight container with parchment paper between layers. Bars may be frozen for future use – thaw on the counter and enjoy!
Chef’s Note: Oats and pepitas may be toasted and cooled prior to making the granola mixture. Toast on separate pans in a 350-degree oven. Pepitas may take 12 to 18 minutes until golden. You should be able to easily smell the nutty aroma when you take them out of the oven. The oats may take 15 to 20 minutes and should be stirred occasionally with a spatula. Again, you should be able to smell the nutty aroma when you remove them from the oven.
Find more tasty Northern Michigan snacks like Andi’s chocolate cherry granola bar recipe in MyNorth’s recipe directory!
#2016 #Grand_Traverse #Traverse_City #Food_&_Drink