Forty-Five North Vineyard and Winery in Lake Leelanau is known for their award-winning Northern Michigan wine. During the February wine event, Taste the Passion, they paired that wine with a homemade tomato basil soup with the choice of Red Barn Red (Bronze in the 2015 Finger Lakes International Wine Competition) or 45 White (Double Gold in the 2015 Michigan Wine Competition). The combination was delectable.
In case you missed the event, we have the recipe for you. All you have to do is pick up a bottle of 45 North wine. Trust us, you want this for dinner this week.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 46-ounce bottle or can tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar (check taste, sometimes tomatoes are acidic and need more sugar)
- 1 or 2 tablespoons chicken or veggie base
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- black pepper
Sauté onions in butter then add tomatoes, tomato juice, sugar, base, and sherry. Simmer for 15 minutes and then add the cream, basil, and parsley. Black pepper to taste.
Find more homemade soup recipes to pair with 45 North wine in MyNorth’s recipe directory!
#2016 #Leelanau #Lake_Leelanau #Food_&_Drink #Wine