More than 160 ski and snowboard resorts across the U.S. are participating in a Guinness Book of World Records event on Friday, January 8 at 10 a.m. The resorts are attempting to claim four separate records including the world’s largest ski lesson and snowboard lesson.
There are several Northern Michigan ski areas participating in the event including Crystal Mountain, Boyne Highlands, Boyne Mountain, Nub’s Nob, Marquette Mountain, Pine Mountain, Shanty Creek Resorts, The Homestead, and Treetops Resort.
If you want to learn to ski or snowboard, but are a little nervous to try, Brian Lawson of Crystal Mountain shares some advice.
“The first piece of advice is to always take a lesson from a trained instructor,” Brian says. “A friend tried to teach me the first time out and it was a disaster—which is often the case. I took a group lesson in my second attempt and it made an incredible difference. It’s also important to note that modern shaped skis make it easy to turn and control speed. We don’t use the straight skis that people so often see in the movies.”
Every chairlift at Crystal Mountain includes a green/beginner run so there’s always a run for every level of skier, Brian adds, and there is a designated Beginners Route on the trail map.
“We see skiers and snowboarders from age 3 to 93, but age doesn’t matter,” Brian says. “I think deep down we’re all just compelled to go out and play in the snow. That time out on the slopes is what you make of it.”
Details and a list of participating ski areas are posted at learntoskiandsnowboard.org.
Participating Michigan ski areas include:
- Apple Mountain in Freeland 1-888-781-6789
- Boyne Highlands in Harbor Springs 1-855-688-7022
- Boyne Mountain in Boyne Falls 1-855-688-7024
- Cannonsburg Ski Area in Cannonsburg (616) 874-6711
- Crystal Mountain in Thompsonville 1-888-968-7686
- Marquette Mountain in Marquette 800-944-7669
- Mt. Brighton in Brighton (810) 229-9581
- Norway Mountain in Norway (906) 282-9105
- The Homestead in Glen Arbor (231) 334-5000
- Treetops Resort in Gaylord 1-866-348-5249
- Nub’s Nob in Harbor Springs 1-800-SKI-NUBS
- Pine Mountain in Iron Mountain (906) 774-2747
- Shanty Creek Resorts in Bellaire 1-800-678-4111
- Snow Snake Ski & Golf in Harrison (989) 539-6583
If you can’t make it to the world’s largest ski lesson, don’t worry! Here are 10 ideas to help you “Learn a Snow Sport This Month.”
#2016 #Benzie #Thompsonville #Outdoors #Ski #Events